There is a specific law that addresses the plight of undocumented and unmarried immigrant children under the age of 21.  Many of them have been abandoned, abused or neglected by one or both of their parents, and reunification with that parent may not be viable.  To return these children to their countries of origin would certainly not be in their best interests, especially in light of the gang activity and violence so prevalent in some of these Central American countries.


Special Immigrant Juvenile Status addresses all of these issues.  If the child is under the umbrella of certain family court proceedings, we can bring a motion for special findings in front of a Family Court Judge.  After we complete our family court proceedings, and we have the necessary orders in place, we can then apply to USCIS for the child’s permanent residence.